Marry him: The case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough by Lori Gottlieb

This nonfiction is about sucking up your pride and lowering your standards about men or you will end up alone, sad, and regretful like the author. Lori Gottlieb offers herself up like she is the biggest nightmare you could imagine. She is the 41 year old single mother  (who in every other respect, has it all). The book picks apart her dating life with the kind of concise pessimistic eye that could only be had in hindsight. She begs the reader not to make her mistakes. She goes in through detail about what those mistakes are, how easy it is to make those mistakes, and how many of her friends have already made them.

I found the content repetitive and the book too long. I think I might have sufficed with the original Atlantic Article that this book sprung from.

It probably didn’t help that I have heard all of this before from my mom. All throughout my life she has said things like, “ [imagine a filipino accent] If you do not find someone to marry, you will be all alone”. And, my mom trying to tell me to act before my ship has sailed, “You better watch out because if you wait too long, the ship will leave you and you will be all alone”. The book went on and on and on. I relived the 20 years my mom preached that any man that does not hit you is worth marrying. The book felt that long. It also didn’t help that a lot of the story was about her friends as well. It felt gossipy, and at the very least, not very scientifically rigorous.

My biggest criticism for the book is that she never really defines her audience. She assumes every woman has the resources to live and work alone and raise a child alone. While she says that she is struggling financially, the fact that she is able to do it at all indicates that she has done well for herself.  Not every woman risks being overeducated, and at the risk for never settling for a man because they forgot they needed one. Gottlieb doesn’t realize it, but she is only speaking to a very well off class of women. She is speaking to the class of women that have the capability of making a choice. In fact the other side of the coin is far more scary. There are lots and lots of women out there that are in physically and emotionally abusive relationships that don’t have the social and economic resources to get out of them. Some women aren’t educated enough to know that they deserve better. She isn’t talking to them, she is talking to well off women like herself.

But it is implied. She tells us to throw a few more dates to the shorter and sweeter men of the world instead of spending that type looking for unicorns. I just wished that she offset some of the time she was telling us that we are far more unattractive than we think we are to explain that there are some universal dealbreakers that we shouldn’t settle for.

She didn’t say however, that you shouldn’t wait for someone you love. She just says that love might be different than you think it is. She likens (what she thinks is) western love to the practice of arranged marriages. Love is something that grows when two people have committed to eachother. That is something she learned from her Indian friend.


I don’t regret that I read this book. I found it convincing, and frankly, just because of the part of my life I am in, the message was something I needed to hear. I just know I should take it with a grain of salt. The author has legitimate regrets that she overassumes that we will have. I am a pragmatic person and I have never had the fairy tale fantasies that she assumes every woman has. As a matter of fact, I think the life she lives doesn’t sound so bad at all. She is a glamorous well educated female author with a son living in the big city. The whole basis of her book is based on a fear, and maybe, just maybe, its not really something to be all that afraid of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment